Anne Arundel County Public Library's goal is to provide all of our services to customers of all abilities. We have several programs and services, such as Library by Mail, available to provide assistance to those who need it.
One computer in each branch is wheelchair accessible. All public computers are equipped with Windows Narrator screen reader software, and Windows Magnifier text-enlarging software.
Visual Impairment Aids
- Large Print materials are available at all library locations. Browse and place holds on Large Print materials from our online catalog.
An ADA Accessible Workstations are available at Broadneck, Eastport-Annapolis Neck, Edgewater and Glen Burnie libraries. These workstations include:
- MAGic text enlarging and screen reader software for those with low or deteriorating vision
- JAWS screen reader software for the blind
- 27" monitor
- Large type keyboard
- ClearView Optelec text enlarger/reader (for use with books/printed material). A ClearView Optelec text enlarger/reader is also available at the Severna Park Community Library.
- ADA Workstations were generously provided with a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Maryland State Library, and in partnership with the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
- Computers with:
- Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped is a free service through the mail for eligible blind or physically handicapped individuals who are unable to read print.
Deaf/Hearing Impaired Aids
- Sign-language interpreters are available with advance notice for library-sponsored programs. Call 410-222-7371 for more information or to schedule an interpreter.
- The Deaf Culture Digital Library is a collection of resources and help related to deaf culture. The site includes access to a wide selection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, and streaming video for all ages. This collection includes Signed Stories, picture book videos with sign language interpretation. These materials are accessed through Overdrive and may be borrowed with your AACPL card, but are on a separate account from your other Overdrive checkouts.
- C-Pen Reader Pens, which read aloud text for users with reading challenges, are available to borrow.
Library by Mail is a personalized library service for county residents of all ages who are homebound, either permanently or temporarily, due to illness, disability or injury. Delivers a full range of library services via the mail, free of charge. Library materials are sent via US Mail in a pouch that includes pre-paid postage to return the items to the Library. More information here.